Friday, July 18, 2014

Friday Feels: Men Who Understand Women

It's my favorite day of the week!  And time for...

A dear friend of ours was having very intense feelings for a book (we've all been there) and was on a hunt for male authors who could accurately portray the female experience. 

No surprise, it turns out most men seem to write about men and most women seem to write about women. That fact only makes me especially appreciative as a reader when I find a male author who writes a female character that I can identify with (versus the unattainable manic pixie dream girl). 

Below are a few of my favorites. Kudos, gents!
  • Hazel Grace in The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
  • Tess Derbyville in Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
  • Liesel Meminger in The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Nora Helmer in A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen
  • Tandia in Tandia by Bryce Courtenay 
  • Briony Tallis in Atonement by Ian McEwan 
  • Lucy Honeychurch in A Room With A View by E. M. Forster

I haven't read all that many books by men with female protagonists.  Who am I missing?  Any recommendations?  Do you think it's possible for a man to tell a woman's story?  I want to hear your thoughts!

-Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...