Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Top Ten Books on My Spring TBR List

This is a feature of The Broke and the Bookish


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I’ve already started reading this one, and I’m in love! Fangirl is about Cath, one part of a set of twins, headed off to college for the first time and trying to balance making new friends, her twin’s new steely coldness, her father’s mania and loneliness, and her all-consuming love of the Simon Snow fandom.




The 57 Lives of Alex Wayfare by M. G. Buehrlen

I can’t resist a good time-travel story- mostly because I love history and I would be beyond psyched to have that super power and get to experience history first hand! I’m excited to read about Alex, a high-schooler who frequently has visions of the past, only to find out these are not visions, but memories of her past lives- and a mysterious blue-eyed boy appears in each one of them (of course- there’s alway a boy).




The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Kestrel has to join the military or get married- limited options for a girl in this imaginary world. When she buys an attractive man-slave, Arin, she thinks he could be the key to living a life beyond society’s limitations.


The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton
Ava is just like the rest of us- she wants to fit in and be accepted. Unfortunately for Ava, she was born with the wings of a bird (due to the foolish love of her ancestors), which makes this desire a little more difficult to achieve. 


Nearly Gone by Elle Cosimano

I’m told this is Bones meets Fringe- so I’m in! Nearly, despite her name, is not the daughter of a celebrity. She lives in a trailer park. Her mother is an exotic dancer. And if that didn’t make high school hard enough, she is able to feel the emotions of others when she touches their skin, which makes her the only person who can solve the serial murders of her fellow students.  

Half Bad by Sally Green

Witches, a male protagonist, and a cool, bloody cover is enough of an enticement for me.



 The Only Boy by Jordan Locke

In a future world where all the men have been annihilated (probably keeping a few for breeding purposes?), one boy has managed to escape discovery and is living in a conclave of girls. Having just read The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, I in the mood for another gender-segregated society novel.


Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan

Two boys are trying to beat the Guinness World Record for longest kiss, and are becoming an inspiration for other young boys accepting themselves and their sexuality. I’m disappointed by the lack of same-sex relationships taking center stage in YA novels and I want to try to read more of the books that are available.


 The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne

About this time last year, I visited the historic house with Miss Meg, and promised myself I would read the novel by this time next year! Well, it’s next year and it's time to make good on that promise!



Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

The movie is coming out, and while I’m not sure it looks like a good movie yet, I know I’m going to see it eventually, so I’d better have that book read in preparation!


Please- warn me if you think I'm wasting my time on any of these!  I look forward to seeing what's on your TBR list!

-Kate

4 comments:

  1. yay for fangirl! I was at barnes and noble yesterday and almost picked up Winner's Curse but I didn't for some reason. I was almost to the register with it when I turned around and put it back. I'm gonna go read some reviews and then maybe I will get it after all d:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Fangirl and reading Nearly Gone! Hope you get to read these!

    Check out our TTT.

    Also check out our Kindle Giveaway along with OUAT 4 year Giveaway and Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover giveaway.

    Leydy @OUaT & RCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, I really do hope you'll like Vampire Academy. It grew on me like a particularly insistent fungus (but in a good way), it was just so different to most other vampire fiction I had encountered before that.

    TTT @ Words in a Teacup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Vampire Academy series os I hope you get to it soon. It's the only book on your list that I've read, but Two Boys Kissing is also on my reading list, although I doubt it'll be read by Spring.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...